Lean thinkers have identified 8 wastes (Muda) that you should strive to reduce or eliminate.
8 Wastes: Some examples of each waste.
- Overproduction: Harvesting more silage than you need or raising more chickens than you can sell
- Inventory: Ordering and keeping items you won't need for a long time
- Defects: Sick calves or unplanned maintenance
- Overprocessing: Spending time getting things cleaner than they have to be
- Motion: More steps or movement than needed to perform a task
- Transportation: Hauling too often or wrong size loads
- Under Utilized Talent: Not listening to employee ideas
- Waiting: Too many people in parlor or long wait times in the field representing too many trailers